For a long time people have been saying I should write my stories down. You can blame them if I bore you.

19 December 2006

What's that itchy feeling?

Well, once again I find myself in the awkward position of having to apologize to my legions of fans for the lengthy delay in updating my little corner of the internet. I know it’s no excuse, but I have been quite the busy beaver with two jobs, holiday shopping, working out and sleeping. Every once in a while I do something social which is nice. I’m beginning to forget what the New York bar scene is like, though I’m sure it’s the same botox’d faces I saw the last time I was out.

It seems we’re almost to the present day now with my blog! (It’s really not necessary to sigh in relief you know.) “But Shawn,” you’re saying, “if you’re out of Astoria adventures, what are you going to write about?” Well fear not beloved admirers, there are plenty of Shawn Stories out there. I haven’t been on this planet for thir ---, I mean twenty-five years for nothing. Besides, I’m sure Astoria will continue to provide fodder for my blog and just like the folks in line at Winn Dixie reading the National Enquirer, you’ll want to know.

Today’s story is a long one so I apologize in advance. I really need an editor who can help me focus on brevity. Less is more. (Or so countless dates have told me.) I’ll try to keep it short and sweet, like me, but you all know how long winded I can be. So shift your ass into its most comfy position and park it there.

Picture it. Astoria. Late Summer, 2006. I’ve now endured power outages, blistering heat, root canals, near fires, cable issues, phone issues, Ipod issues, the list goes on and on, as you all well know. There comes a point in ones life, you’d think, that you reach what some may call the breaking point, that special moment when you actually start listening to the voices in your head telling you to throw that plate across the kitchen or stomp on that absurdly expensive framed print of a heart wrapped in flowers your ex got you. Not that I would know, those are just examples. Late Summer, 2006 I hit that point.

I should start out by saying I love my bed. It’s been with me in 8 of my 9 apartments that I’ve had in New York, and it was given to me by a friend several years ago who was suddenly transferred by her job. She had only had it for two weeks, so I considered it new. Through thick and thin it’s been with me, a constant companion in a sea of change. Lovers come (sometimes on the bed!) and go, but this bed has been my rock. Sadly, at the end of summer, my bed fell victim to the insidious, pernicious Cimex lectularius, or as you and I know them, the household bed bug. They aren’t kidding when they say don’t let the bed bugs bite, because let me tell you, those suckers can bite.

A little history lesson for my avid readers. Bed bugs have been with man since, well, man was around. They are parasitic insects that feed off of the blood of you and me (or dogs if they absolutely have to, but they’re pretty picky eaters.) They live not only in beds but anywhere there is a crack, crevice, nook, cranny or hole. They often choose to live in beds because then they’re right at the source of their breakfast lunch and dinner, but they can travel up to seventy feet for a meal. They are nocturnal. They are flat and oval in shape until they feed, at which point their bodies engorge to four times its normal size, filled to the brim with our juicy blood. That word engorge really grosses you out doesn’t it? Me too.

Here’s where it gets scary. They can live up to a year… a YEAR… without eating. The female can lay up to 5 eggs a day, and if any of those end up being little girls, they too can lay five eggs a day. In a little over a month there can be twenty generations in your home. They are resistant to any chemical sprays that you can purchase over the counter. Spray the suckers directly with Raid and they’ll tip their hat good mornin’ to you, and saunter off with a smile on their face and a song in their heart. As far as I can tell, there’s no herbal concoction that will rid your home of these pests either. Once the bugs are there, you have entered a battle that will cost you a lot of money and countless sleepless nights.


I, of course, didn’t know I had bed bugs at first. There are a few telltale signs, like brown spots on your sheets (which is your dried blood), or a pungent odor in the room they inhabit, but I hadn’t really noticed either of those. After all, the curry pretty much covers up any other odor that might exist in my apartment. My discovery came in a much more traditional way; I had been eaten alive. I woke up one fine sunny day, anticipating the glorious work day ahead, and by the end of the evening I was a mass of itching, burning flesh. At first I thought I had contracted chicken pox because I was covered in all these little bumps, and I was actually a little happy about the possibility of missing a few days of work, but then I noticed something strange; the dots were all in neat little rows.

When bed bugs bite you, they do it three or four times in each feeding. First, they stick you with a numbing coagulant so that you don’t feel anything, and then they stick a tube in and commence their meal. When they’re full from that tap, they pause for a bit so that their bodies can expand to accommodate its new bounty and then they take a few steps and start the process again. By the fourth bite, their feast is over and they plop into an easy chair to watch the big game. It’s only the next day you discover you’ve been bitten.

I googled “bites in a row” or something like that, and came up with a website about bed bugs and how to identify them. I scanned my sheets and there were a few brown spots here and there, but they were pretty old sheets so I wasn’t sure if those were new brown spots or old brown spots. (Who knew how many brown spots there were on my sheets. Gross.) The website also said they molt, so you should look around for skins. I pulled my bed from against the wall, and my fears were confirmed. There on the floor were three or four dried up bed bug skins. Rather than freaking out, I calmly scooted the bed back in place and started my research on how to combat this little problem. The freaking out came soon after.

As noted before, these buggers can live just about anywhere. What that meant in terms of my apartment was that the hardwood floors, the dresser, the desk, the laundry hamper, the couch, the chair, the tv stand, the bookstand, the books, the cds, the clothes, the alarm clock, the radio, everything I owned had become a Hotel 6 for these nasty creatures. Commence the freaking out. It’s very difficult to look around you and consider that everything you own is now the domain of an insect that wants to suck your blood in your sleep. (I would imagine its about how Bill feels around Hillary.) The website I consulted recommended cleaning out anything under your bed and focusing on your room first.

Like many New Yorkers, the area under my bed is an extra closet. I had three of those nifty under the bed containers, shoe boxes of receipts, photo albums and other sundry items not worth mentioning here. With much gusto I dove into the “extra closet” to determine the extent of my infestation. As it turns out, this area of my apartment was Club Med for my bed bugs. I found them in my receipts. I found them in my Christmas ornaments. I found them in old greeting cards. In magazines. In old headshots. Basically, everywhere. They like really dark, dry places, which I had unwittingly supplied for them in abundance. I tossed a lot of stuff that day, and much of it was of great sentimental value.

I then bagged up every item of clothing I own and dropped it all off at the laundry mat. I figured I had to tell the people working there why I was washing a few large bags of clothing all at once, and they were very kind and said they would be careful with it all because they didn’t want any bedbugs getting to other people’s clothes. At least they had some common sense about it. I came back home, and got out the vacuum. Bed bugs hate vacuums. The website recommended vacuuming once, throwing out the bag, then vacuuming every day for a week because the eggs are covered in a sticky substance that prevents them from being sucked up; you have to wait until they’ve hatched to catch them..

I vacuumed every square inch of my room seven times in as many days. Take a moment and look around your room. Now imaging vacuuming everything. Everything. Seven times. I then went to bed bath and beyond and bought 20 gigantic ziploc bags to put my clothes in so that if the buggies ever came back, I wouldn’t have to spend the money to wash all my clothes again. I bought new sheets, new pillowcases and pillow protectors. Rather than throwing out the bed and bringing a new one into the apartment, the website recommended wrapping your current bed in plastic so that the ones in it will die (after a year) and so that no more can get in. Yes, like a child who can’t stop wetting his bed, my mattresses are now covered in plastic. Nothing says hot times like plastic mattress covers. “Uh, we can play slip’n’slide?”

Unfortunately for me, the plastic they provide for keeping mattresses dry isn’t really made to be air tight. It’s made to be a basic barrier, not a condom. I’d get the plastic on one side of the mattress, and it would rip on the other. I’d patch that hole with packing tape, and another would appear an inch away. The website also said that the plastic shouldn’t touch the floor, because the bugs can then just climb right up on it and into bed with you. The mattress covers made today are made to fit beds with those fluffy mattress pads. My bed does not have said pad. Thus, the mattress cover was far too big, and the extra plastic ended up on the floor. I had to stand my bed up on end and put shipping tape all around it so that the extra plastic wouldn’t fall to the floor. Of course in doing so, I ripped it about twenty times. What should have taken twenty minutes was a several hour process, because every time I moved, lifted, or shifted the bed, the plastic would rip.

This was about the time I hit the aforementioned breaking point. And that half of the story is saved for next week. Until then, don’t worry; that itchy sensation you feel is probably just psychosomatic. Probably.

1 Comments:

Blogger Actions and Consequences said...

I'm very VERY glad you let Ted and I sleep on the pull out bed.

The pro to plastic sheets is that if you are dating someone for like a REALLY long time-six months, you can pee on each other-in bed.

12:58 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home